Re: Next release from master

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:06:14 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> My own conclusion based on how things worked during Emacs-24.N was that
>> we're better off incrementing the major version every time there are new
>> features. IOW the next release form master should be called 26.1 and 25.N
>> should be kept for a bugfix-only releases from the emacs-25 branch.
>
> I think you have a good point, Stefan. master should become emacs-26 at some
> point in the future, once it's ready, while emacs-25 should only continue to
> improve and stabilize the 25.x series.
>
> I imagine we will be actively working in emacs-25 for at least 25.1 and 25.2,
> before shifting attention over to master and leaving emacs-25 only for
> maintenance.

What release cycles are we're speaking about, in terms of time? Example:
I have committed the first bits to the master branch of what would be
Tramp 2.3. Incompatible (the code, NOT the external interface) to Tramp
2.2.13 in Emacs 25.1. If it takes a long time until Emacs 26 is
released, that code should go to Emacs 25.2, somehow.

Best regards, Michael.