Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:44:03 +0300

On 01/14/2016 09:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Why not let the user call dired-do-search, and then press `r'?

Because people who used to have 'Q' will want to press it and get what
they are used to, I guess.

Ok. If you insist, I can make a version of the same logic that would skip generating the output buffer.

IOW, I think we should avoid gratuitously breaking backward
compatibility.  Can we have faithful emulations of these commands' UI,
bound to the same keys, just working differently under the hood?

We could, I suppose.

But that wouldn't remove the need for tags-loop-continue, would it? Or a command just like it.

And I really want to use the M-, binding for xref-pop-marker-stack.

>> I've asked for the list of commands without equivalents in the previous emails.
>
> Did I now answer that?

...I think? It can be a long discussion:

- Do we create versions of all new commands that use the traditional interface? I wouldn't mind having that, but it's not high on my list of priorities, and it would require some additional design, and some more volunteer(s). Logically, the commands will have customizable presentation, which in itself is a good thing, of course.

- If not, do we have similar commands that use different presentations? Do we reflect the distinction in their names? How? For now, we're calling the new UI also xref, but it conflates it with the core xref infrastructure (backends and "smart" IDE-ish commands).

Either way, it seems prudent to extract the current UI part of xref to a package with an appropriate name.