Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 09:53:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I think having to tweak every mode-specific command is going to be
> too heavy.  We should be able to cut that down drastically by having
> a way to say "commands with prefix foo- all all mode-specific except for
> those that are marked as being global".

That would certainly help with discoverability of the global
commands, but would it also allow completing over the commands that are
applicable to the current mode(s)?  For instance, there are often
commands that apply to similar modes (for instance in the cc-mode
family) that aren't necessarily named what you might think, I think...

One could offer to complete over the keys that are bound in the local
maps, of course.

If one can get this to work, that would be very nice, but I'm not sure
that that it's flexible enough.

> So if we have N local command and M global commands, we replace
> N modifications with M+1 modifications.  If M>>N that's a big win.

Sure.  But I think this sort of "janitorial" fix-up is something that
appeals to (some) people: They can do something that can be
semi-automated, and have real noticeable progressive impact on Emacs
usability.