Re: xref-query-replace

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:50:00 +0300

On 01/09/2016 06:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Is this command supposed to work?

You invoke it from an xref output buffer, to perform replacement across the results of a "find references" or "find regexp" command.

I've posted a thread about it in November: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01465.html

If so, could someone please explain
what its argument FROM means?

Regexp to match within each match. So, if you made a search for xref-query-replace, you can easily replace "query" with "interactive" in all those matches.

Yes, it's a bit convoluted.

I tried the command with both ELisp and etags back-ends, and it seems
to always say "No suitable matches here".  The doc string says just

   "Perform interactive replacement in all current matches."

but what are "current matches"?  Matches of what?

Matches for input you've given previously to xref-find-regexp?

Maybe the command needs a check to see if the current buffer is xref-ish. However, since we supposedly allow output customization via xref--show-xref-buffer, it might as well use a different major mode than xref--xref-buffer-mode.