Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:48:53 +0000

I'll add my voice to the emerging crescendo, I want to build and run the mac port out of the mainline sources but I do not want to deal with patch files.  I crave smooth scrolling and to learn what other gems are in the mac ports version.  I also echo the sentiment that I hate, hate, hate the notion of mucking up the command and option keys.  I want someone walking up to my keyboard to get pretty close to normal key behavior from the command key if it happens that I am in Emacs at the time, which is pretty much always the case.  Please Yamamoto-san, join the fray and help solve your issues for both yourself and those of us who so admire and respect your work, but just don't have the bandwidth to live in multiple Emacs worlds.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 7:38 AM João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:00 AM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd like to hear what others think.  Do you want to have a restricted
> version of the Mac port in the mainline?  Will you use it in
> preference to the full-feature version distributed separately (e.g.,
> via another git repository)?

Yes!

Mostly due to the fact that, while the mac port's features are super-nice,
I want to develop in emacs's trunk, and so I almost always decide to
use the normal nextstep  build.

I miss a lot of the mac port's features there... But I don't use it anymore.

To be honest, I haven't looked if there's a way to "git merge" the tip of
the mac port with the tip of trunk for to do development while having nice
mac-port features for doing that development.

João

--
-pmr