Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 1f680db: Fix compilation next-error in buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 1f680db: Fix compilation next-error in buffers with selective-display
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:43:20 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:00:02 -0500
>
> > But as long as the feature stays, it's wrong to refrain from solving
> > such simple problems, hoping that the issue will go away by itself
> > somehow.
>
> That's not the way we've usually done it in Emacs.
>
> The way we normally do it goes something like this:
> - develop some replacement (in this case overlays).
> - change (and encourage such a change in external packages) Elisp code
>   to use the new feature instead of the old one.
> - declare the feature obsolete.
> - at this point, any old bugs don't need to be fixed any more, the
>   feature is in "survival mode" where we only care to keep it usable.
>   At this point, bugs are just one more encouragement for external
>   packages to switch to the new feature.
> - when we consider that the old feature is not used any more, we finally
>   remove it.
>
> I think we're probably pretty close to this last step, but I won't
> insist on taking this step now.

We are not close to the last step.  We are somewhere between the 1st
and the 2nd steps.  To get to the last step, we need to implement
user-level replacements for selective-display (both flavors).

> OTOH I clearly think that fixing long-standing bugs with this old
> and obsolete feature is a bad idea.

Yes, we disagree about that.  I think leaving bugs unsolved for so
long makes us look bad.  When all it takes is a few lines of simple
code, there's really no excuse for that, IMO.