Re: Guidelines for the "symbol" syntax class

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Guidelines for the "symbol" syntax class
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 05:47:46 +0200

On 01/04/2016 04:56 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Right, I think in general you'll be better off to err on the side of
having Emacs symbols be "too short" (and hence having to grow them by
combining Emacs symbols with surrounding chars or surrounding Emacs
symbols) rather than having Emacs symbols be "too long" (and hence
having to parse the inside of symbols rather than treat them as "atomic"
identifiers).

Thanks, Stefan. I guess I'll try doing that for both constants and Symbols, and will handle ':' in Symbol literals like perl-mode does with '$' or '@' (not sure of the reason for the difference between the two, yet).

And easy-kill works fine with it, because the default "thing" it interacts with is actually sexps, not symbols.