Re: Need review of emacs-25-merge branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Need review of emacs-25-merge branch
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:20:04 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:50:16 -0800
>
> Bear with me, this is my first merge attempt, after a long period of no
> merging having happened...

It's hard to look at the humongous diffs without some focus.  It would
be better if you told where did the conflicts occur, so that only
those parts could be eyeballed.

One thing I noticed is that the merges in the tests/ directory didn't
go well: look inside there and you will see that Git brought back
several directories whose contents were moved on master.  These need
to be fixed manually, I guess.

> To make things easier on myself, I used git-imerge, which is a power tool for
> managing large scale forks:

I guess that's okay for such a problematic merge, but in the future I
think we should insist on using gitmerge.el.  We must make sure it
does its job, and does it well, or else we will have no control on
what's going on in the repository.

>   4. It didn't take "back-port" markers into account, and yet it didn't run
>      into conflicts because of them either. I'd like to know if this mattered,
>      how you checked that it mattered, and based on that feedback I'll make
>      changes to git-imerge to choose the "ours" strategy automatically for
>      such commit pairs.

How does one go about this?