Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:50:58 +0100

On 12/29/2015 06:14 PM, John Wiegley wrote:
>> Could someone explain to me, first, what these features do?
>
> * Emoji display, with support of variation sequences (text-style vs.
> emoji-style) and modifiers (skin tones) if the font supports them.
>
> Emojis (like graphical smileys) can support more styling.

That's not exactly it: it means support for a different set of fonts, whose
glyphs are multi-color pictures instead of monochrome shapes.

I asked about this feature two weeks ago, and got many replies (most of them
lukewarm). I think Richard and you also replied:

  >>> I suggest that we give low priority to this feature. If someone wants to
  >>> implement it and does a good job, we can accept it, but otherwise we don't
  >>> care.
  >>
  >> Agreed.

> Not sure if the typography library on GNU/Linux makes this
> information available yet or not.

Freetype has supported it since 2012. Emacs' has a direct interface to
Freetype, but it seems to essentially be dead code. libXft doesn't expose
Freetype's support for this feature, and I didn't get a reply from the devs on
their mailing list about this. Cairo doesn't expose Freetype's support either,
though Mozilla implemented support for it in their own branch. All in all it
seems that it will be some time before GNU/Linux users get access to this
feature.