Re: Having a custom merge process

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Having a custom merge process
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 00:40:24 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> I've used Git in many scenarios, on many projects, but some of the practices
> we're using here for Emacs development I've never seen before. This simply
> makes me wonder how much of that difference is truly necessary, or is a result
> of having evolved to this point from CVS and then Bazaar.

I think the latter is probably true.  There are many people here who
aren't that fond of git.  (I'm one of them.  :-))  And that's probably
somewhat unusual, these days.

But as I see it, other projects just accept gits many, many
peculiarities and live with them, but in the Emacs toolchain we've (I
mean, not me; I had nothing to do with it) tried to create a layer of
sanity and reliability over the gittishness...

Hey!  It's time for a new 500+ article VC thread!