Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:48:32 -0800

Daniel Colascione wrote:
I'd rather
Emacs just die on C stack overflow

That would certainly be easier to implement! But as a user I would not find it acceptable.

 except when we know we're running
Lisp in such a way that we know we can recover.

I'm afraid that's not good enough, as stack overflow can occur while running C
code.

The only real change we have to make is to have Emacs longjmp not to
return_to_command_loop (which might skip module frames), but to longjmp
instead to the most deeply nested entry point from module code into
Emacs, which we can set up in advance whenever a module calls into the
Emacs API.

Yes, that looks like something we should do, then, to get stack overflow checking working with modules.