Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:10:26 +0200

> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 08:40:24 -0500
>
> Multicolor fonts seem to be becoming popular, especially for representing
> Emoji. There seems to be four competing standards to encode them (see
> http://blog.symbolset.com/multicolor-fonts for info and links). Both Apple
> and Microsoft distribute at least one such color Emoji font (Apple Color
> Emoji and Segoe UI Emoji). Google also has one, Noto Emoji, which is free as
> in beer and speech. Mozilla will release one soon, and so will the Emoji One
> project.
>
> IIUC, Emacs on OSX can display at least some of these fonts properly. What is
> the status on other platforms? Is it dependent on the graphical toolkit with
> which Emacs is compiled?

What do you mean by "display these fonts properly"?  The characters
will be displayed on any platform, in their text representation, but
AFAIK Emacs doesn't take color information from the font; the color is
determined by the color attributes of the face.  We also don't support
emoji modifiers and emoji variation selectors.

Really, for keeping up with these developments, we'd need to recruit
at least one person who is expert in this area, and can develop Emacs
capabilities related to latest versions of the Unicode standard.  We
don't have such a person on board at this time.