Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:16:31 -0500

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:00:05 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> > So I think it would make excellent sense to disable visual
> > positioning modes while recording and replaying keyboard macros.
>
> No, I think you are wrong.  Think C-n and C-p again.

Although I loathe visual positioning (and I disable it), if a user has
that turned on, they'll expect that keyboard macros will operate as
expected, which is to say, that they'll follow the visual up and down
when C-n and C-p are invoked. I think Eli is right that just disabling
it can't be done.

Further, I think Eli is right that the broader problem needs to be
fixed. It almost certainly causes lots of other slowdowns as well.

It seems that the best way to do this effectively is to add a
memoization data structure that caches the redisplay information for
the the buffer. Presumably, when there aren't "unusual" things in the
buffer bits could be set in the structure to simplify the caching (and
allow it to be more compact).

Having been thinking about this for essentially no time and with
little knowledge of the information needed I'm not yet prepared to
make any sort of concrete proposal. Input from people with
significantly more knowledge than me is therefore quite welcome.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden