Re: Casting as wide a net as possible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Casting as wide a net as possible
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:07:43 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:02:06 -0800
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>, John Yates <address@hidden>
>
> I agree. The things that make Emacs great:
>
>   1. Highly consistent syntax.
>   2. Self-documenting.
>   3. Integrated debugger.
>   4. Ability to re-evaluate functions in a running environment.
>      (i.e., everything that made Lisp Machines great)
>   5. Natural syntax for scoping resources (`with-temp-buffer ...')
>   6. Large and well documented API
>   7. Stable and mature concepts evolved over decades
>   8. Huge, HUGE community of cargo-cultable examples, for those just learning

I think we should also mention the huge number of applications and
packages included or available out there.  I don't think there's a
computing related job that Emacs does not already do, given the right
packages are installed.

Also, the fact that it presents more or less the same behavior on all
supported platforms (modulo some system-specific features on each
platform).