Re: builds are getting slower?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 09:57:23 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10 Dec 2015 6:53 am, "Paul Eggert" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> There's a larger performance hit between 20151109 and 20151110.  The log
> for that time period (0730 Pacific cutoff) is attached as log2.txt.
> Nothing jumps out, I'm afraid.
>>

> In one of my commis there I think I added (require 'map) to files.el, but I
> don't think the impact of that would be so noticeable.

If that _replaces_ some builtins by more generic stuff, that could
explain some of it.

> There's another commit there which could affect performance (it talks about
> not using XFASTINT, in a function that is used a bajillion times throughout
> core). It's this one by Eli.
>
> commit 86c19714b097aa477d339ed99ffb5136c755a046
> Author:     Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> AuthorDate: Mon Nov 9 10:31:45 2015
> Commit:     Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> CommitDate: Mon Nov 9 10:31:45 2015
>
>     Fix assertion violation in define-key
>
>     * src/keymap.c (store_in_keymap): Don't use XFASTINT on non-character
>     objects.  Reported by Drew Adams <address@hidden>
>     and Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>.

I doubt it is this one.  It may be used "bajillion times" throughout the
core, but as a rule not in a loop.  So XFASTINT may be replaced by XINT
(or whatever) a few ten thousands of times.  That should not be enough
to cause a significant difference.

--
David Kastrup