Re: Better handling of window margins

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Better handling of window margins
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 09:35:21 -0800

>> If the driving force behind this discussion is the inability of linum.el and
>> darkroom.el to play together, then I'm simply OK with them being incompatible
>> at this stage in Emacs' development.

> It is driven by inability of _any_ 2 packages to request margin space
> without stomping on the other package's needs.

Alright, I'm still OK with that not working right now.

> Anyway, I'm okay with trying to solve a more general case, if someone's got
> that itch, but I'd object to significant changes in the display engine on
> behalf of that, unless we have clear use cases that we want to support. The
> display engine already supports a gazillion minor features, many of which
> were almost unknown, until some inquiring minds discovered them, thought
> they were very cool, and are using each one of them in a couple of obscure
> packages, mostly unbundled, that are very precious to their users. So now we
> are in a situation where no significant cleanups are possible that won't
> cause bug reports about broken features, and adding new features is a royal
> pain.

I very much agree. There should be a whole lot more "bang for the buck" before
we make these sorts of changes at this level.

So until we have a comprehensive proposal, from someone willing to pitch in to
find the right solution, we accept that two modules manipulating the margins
are unable to play together.