Re: Reporting Lisp errors in dynamic modules

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Reporting Lisp errors in dynamic modules
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:49:39 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It's an implementation detail and cannot be used safely by Lisp users.
>> The danger of using it is it can make core Emacs crash.
>
> How can it cause Emacs to crash?  Can you show a specific scenario?
> We should be able to prevent that.

You cannot allocate a valid struct module_fun_env embedded in a
save_value from Lisp (first expected argument of 'module-call').
Therefore any call to 'module-call' from Lisp is invalid. It's an
implementation detail and shouldn't be used directly by users.

>> We also don't want the risk of someone overriding it.
> How is that different from any other primitive?

It's the same.

>> Also, unrelated but can I be added to the savannah emacs group? My
>> savannah account is aaptel.
> Please apply, and please explain your interests.

I already signed the copyright assignment papers few years ago. I've
already contributed a few things here and there (underwave support)
and finally I initiated and spent most of a year working on this
dynamic module feature, along with Philip Stephani. Is there anything
else I should do?