Re: Callbacks from modules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Callbacks from modules
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:35:40 +0200

> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Cc: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:22:07 -0700

> Eli> In the future, we might add
> Eli> facilities that would allow a module register a file descriptor
> Eli> through which events could flow into the Emacs event queue.  But that
> Eli> is not yet available, and I'm not sure we'd want to allow it.
>
> Why not?

Because we didn't discuss it? ;-)

Seriously, though: it might be dangerous.  A module that floods Emacs
with events could bring a session to its knees.  And that's just based
on 5-sec thinking; I'm sure there are other "interesting"
possibilities.

I think we should have some specific design presented, and then
discuss it.  Perhaps the dangers are not real, or could be kept in
check.