Re: Questions about isearch

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Questions about isearch
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:35:10 +0100

On 2015-11-26, at 22:02, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> And what about etc/HELLO? what language is it in?  [...]

And, as I mentioned a few times in various places, there is another case
(and unlike etc/HELLO, it actually happens IRL): bibliographies of
scientific papers.  It is not uncommon for such a bibliography to
contain titles/journal names in various languages.  (Probably the most
extreme example might be "Funkcialaj Ekvacioj", a Japanese journal with
an Esperanto title and mostly or only English papers.)

AFAIK (though I'm not 100% sure), standard LaTeX tools (i.e., BibLaTeX)
do not support such a situation (which is bad, since it is really needed
to have different hyphenation rules for different parts of these entries
- be glad that Emacs doesn't have to care about those!).  Another LaTeX
bibliography tool, amsrefs, handles them well; but it's not very
popular.

For a less extreme example, consider e.g. Latin phrases in the midst of
an English text; not uncommon, for instance in law texts (but not only
there).

> So I think a per-buffer language attribute is the wrong way to go.  We
> need a finer granularity.

Yes.

OTOH, my feeling is that a solution which would be correct 85% of the
time is better than no solution.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski