Re: Questions about isearch

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Questions about isearch
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:20:20 +0100

Hi,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> These questions came out of review and extensive updates of the search
> and replace sections of the Emacs manual:
>
> 1. Character folding doesn't catch ligatures, such as æ (should it match
> the two characters "ae")?

In Danish I would not consider this a ligature, but a separate letter.  It
can be written as ae, however.  Thus, it would probably be nice to match
it via ’ae’.  But where to stop?  How about ’å’ (matched by ’a’)?  Should
it be captured by "aa"?  Ø by ’oe’?  There’s also ’œ’...

Probably there’s lots of these weird cases.

> 2. It also doesn't match ä (a single character) with ä (2 characters,
> which Emacs correctly composes into 1 grapheme cluster).  Should it?

This reminds me: UTF-8 "stroked through a" (a̶) is also displayed as ä
rather than the stroke through a Emacs on my system.  But this is probably
a different issue.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall