Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:52:21 -0800

On 11/24/2015 11:49 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> In a module API, we have to rely on traditional error checking.
>
> No we don't.  We certainly do not rely on it for checking stack space
> exhaustion.  And we don't have to rely on it for heap space exhaustion
> either.

What's your alternative? Assuming memory allocation never fails? That's
unacceptable in robust programming. I disagree that it's tedious to
check for allocation failure. We can QUIT almost anywhere too: do you
think we should use some kind of special reporting mechanism for that too?

I don't think having to check for errors is a particularly onerous
requirement when writing C code.