Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: emacs-module.c and signaling errors
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:23:37 -0800

Daniel Colascione wrote:
How is it any worse than checking whether open(2) returns -1?

'open' probes the outside world, and programs should be prepared for such probes to fail. In contrast, 'cons' is basic memory allocation, just as calling a function is basic memory allocation. We don't require programs to check each function call to see whether the call failed because the stack was exhausted. Similarly we don't require programs to check each call to 'cons' to see whether 'cons' failed because the heap was exhausted.