RE: Q: text-quoting-style -- is its value a string or a symbol?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q: text-quoting-style -- is its value a string or a symbol?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 06:39:38 -0800 (PST)

> > If we are telling users how to change the behavior, by using
> > `setq' in their init files, then I think this should be a user
> > option.
>
> True, discussing setq is overkill here.

The point is that mentioning `setq' is less desirable than
mentioning Customize.  The point is not that users do not need to
know how to turn this off.

Clearly, adding the mention of how to change the setting in your
init file was intended to address the need to let users know
about this variable and how they can change it.  That need does
not go away just because `setq' is not the best way to do that.

> I removed it.

A half measure that makes only things worse, if nothing is
added to the user manual to tell users how to change the
behavior.

> Personally I'd rather not have the variable at all (not even
> for experts), but having a variable is OK as a compromise.

A compromise between what you'd "personally" prefer and what
really helps users?  Doesn't sound great, to me "personally".

New, incompatible behavior was introduced.  And some users
have already questioned it or expressed dislike.  We should
give all users, including non-"experts", an easy way to
choose the behavior they prefer.  This calls for making the
variable a user option.  Easy to do.