Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:02:09 +0900

Roland Winkler writes:

 > No, you are perfectly right.  BBDB v2 *did* have copyright issues.

BBDB v3 still has issues, as it has a complex API which is under
previous copyright AFAIK.

 > BBDB v3 on savannah.nongnu.org is essentially a complete rewrite,

"Essentially" as understood by programmers is rarely anything close to
what a lawyer thinks of as an independent work not considered a
derivative.  I doubt *any* of the newly assigned work was done without
looking at the original, and very likely most still uses original
internal variable names, structures, algorithms, etc.  You'd better
check with the lawyers.