Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:27:55 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:55:34 -0800
>
> The main thing I noticed (that was not already in your list or in my
> upcoming changes) are some problems in memory allocation. The module
> code calls malloc directly, instead of xmalloc, for reasons I don't
> understand.

I suspect the reason is the same that it doesn't call CHECK_NUMBER
etc., but instead emulates that in its own code: the authors wanted to
refrain from causing a non-local exit directly, they wanted such exits
to go through their own non-local exit routine.  But that's a guess.

If this is indeed the reason, we should probably look for a better
solution.

> More generally, how should modules obtain memory in an
> Emacs-friendly way?

The code in module.c runs in Emacs, so I think it's friendly enough
(apart of the xmalloc issue).  Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

> There are some other things I noticed which I'll try to summarize after
> fixing the stuff that's easy to fix (missing copyright notices,
> formatting, etc.).

Thanks.