Re: A better UI than perform-replace

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: A better UI than perform-replace
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:46:12 -0500

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> - No good way to pause the replacement procedure.

C-r enters recursive edit (C-M-c to get out again).

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 3:50 AM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
> - No good way to pause the replacement procedure.

You can use C-r to enter recusive edit.

I am not a power users.  It would never occurr to me that the solution of a common UI use case would be an invocation of modal behavior.

Recursive editing is noobie unfriendly.  It is not particularly discoverable.  It requires maintaining a more complex mental model of the editor's state while performing the rename.  And it requires more key strokes than direct support.

/john