Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 21:42:47 -0500

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

> Hmm...  Personally, I think "for release" is just a list of activities
> that must be completed before the next release, but "release process" or
> "release cycle" is throughout Emacs development.

Fair enough.

>> No one else has shown any interest in tracking such things AFAIK.
>
> Perhaps many developers aren't aware of it.  (I'm an example.)

AFAIK, nobody thought to even ask "how shall we track the bugs we need
to fix for the next release". Till now! :)

> Well, I mean _build and upload_ the binary.  Maybe Someoneā„¢ familiar
> with Windows should write a script to build a Windows binary for release
> automatically.

Perhaps. Personally I wouldn't like to see "provide pre-built binaries
for MS Windows users" becomes an "official" responsibility of Emacs.
It's just something that some people have been doing on a best effort basis.
But of course the people who do the work get to make the decisions.