Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extension

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extensions
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:53:09 +0200

> From: address@hidden (João Távora)
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:32:57 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> linum.el uses the left margin to make just enough to show numbered
> indicators. The gist of this patch is: if there is enough space there
> already, linum.el won't set the left margin width.
>
> But if it does, it records that fact in a window parameter, to check
> later, when turning off linum-mode, if resetting the margin is
> needed. In this situation, resetting the margin is only needed if
> linum-mode was the only extension to touch it, otherwise one considers
> that some other extension or interactive "set-margins" call touched the
> margins.
>
> The way I implemented "some other extension ... touched the margins" is
> an equal test of current margins vs remembered set margins.
>
> It seems robust enough for now, but ideally linum-mode would know that
> "his" margins have been overriden interactively or by some other
> extension, and decide in accordance.

Thanks for the explanations.  Could you please look at nlinum.el (in
ELPA) and see whether its solution to this problem is better, or at
least not worse, and satisfies the needs of darkroom-mode?  If so, I'd
rather we adopted the nlinum solution in linum as well.

If there's something to be done for coexistence with nlinum, I'd
prefer to have a solution that works with both linum and nlinum.

Thanks.