Re: Window splitting issues with margins

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Window splitting issues with margins
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:43:17 +0200

> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:04:54 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  > Except that I don't know if any other package is also using the margin
>  > and should perhaps assume a minimum width larger than 0. Right now,
>  > visual-fill-column will happily set the margin to 0 if the window width
>  > is smaller than the requested text width.
>
> The question is whether it makes any sense for two packages to ever
> share one and the same margin.  I doubt that.  And if one package uses
> the left and the other package uses the right margin, they will have to
> reach some sort of agreement when trying to auto-adjust margins.

I agree.  Making the display margins shareable is a tough nut, it will
most probably require introduction of quite a few new functions that
every user of the margins will have to consult.  If the only use case
that needs that is these two modes, and if their problem is only with
splitting the window, let's instead try to solve that on the
window-splittable-p level.