Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:38:06 +0100

Yuri Khan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Arguably, they should be solved by adding that heuristic, not by
>>> breaking open-line and/or newline-and-indent.
>>
>> Perhaps, until such a fix exists, to this and any similar problem, Emacs
>> can afford to offer "dumb" keys alongside indenting keys.
>
> Possibly, if Emacs offers “dumb” keys, no one will be sufficiently
> annoyed to actually implement the fix.

Emacs will never be perfect in all respects, not least of all because
some indentations are motivated by aesthetic criteria and by judgment
calls on different criteria than Emacs uses.  To intentionally make it
annoying to work around bad decisions in order to make developers change
Emacs is just stupid because the fallout will hit first and foremost the
users rather than the developers even if we hypothesize that for every
code there is exactly one correct and desirable and machine-determinable
way to indent it.

--
David Kastrup