Re: project.el semantics

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: project.el semantics
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 03:55:11 -0600

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> project vs libraries. Or, "files we own and edit" vs "files we
> sometimes want to look at" (and maybe edit during debugging).

Those are conflicting criteria, so you are proving my point.

As an example, you define project-library-roots for elisp to include
_all_ of load-path (see the recently added function
`elisp-library-roots').

On a user machine (not a developer machine), a lot of load-path is
treated as read-only. But some is not. So why is it in
project-library-roots?

The obvious answer is "because there is no way to tell which
subset of load-path is treated as user-editable".

Note that "owned by the user" is not enough; ELPA packages are not editable,
but they are in ~/.emacs.d/elpa, owned by the user. And a user may have
installed Emacs in their own directory tree.

Which is precisely my point; there is no good way to decide whether a
directory belongs in project-roots or project-library-roots.

--
-- Stephe