Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:34:13 -0800

> Still, you've been giving me ideas. The ideal place to implement Follow Mode
> would be inside the display engine, mainly in C. Then we could truly treat a
> "multiple" window as a single object. Such a "multiple" window could, for
> example, have a single (vertical) scroll bar and possibly a single mode
> line. Although it wouldn't be all that easy to implement, it probably
> wouldn't be as difficult as all that. I'm guessing it would take longer than
> Friday 13th November to finish, though.

These are some intriguing thoughts. The 25.1 release cycle may last a while,
so this could still land in a few weeks (beyond the freeze), out of respect
for your efforts to do this right. If it gets too late, though, it would be
better in 25.2 (which I'm hoping will follow just a few months later).

> No, but a screen shot wouldn't really be helpful. It's behaviour rather than
> appearance that matters here. A video would be the best thing, if I had the
> technology to make one. Maybe the best thing would be for me to make the
> patch available in some fashion so that you can try it out. The total size
> of the two patches is currently ~1700 lines (About 350 lines for Isearch,
> and 1350 lines for the framework, including documentation changes). As yet,
> nobody else is using it. The patch has not yet left my PC (apart from backup
> copies).

Would you be available via Firefox Hello some evening, so that you could share
you screen and give me a demo? I'd like to get a better feel for this than my
imagination. I'm available right now in fact. :)

John