Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:45:50 +0000

Pedro Silva <address@hidden> writes:

> :ensure (automatic ELPA installation), :defer (lazy loading) and
> :commands (autoloading) are the things I most use in `use-package'
> that are not as easy to achieve with `with-eval-after-load'.

Not as easy? Sure, more characters, but basically the same complexity. I
don't think it's worth a whole new language to be able to replace:

  (package-install 'foo)

with

  :ensure t

and

  (autoload 'foo-bar 'foo)
  (autoload 'foo-baz 'foo)

with

  :commands (foo-bar foo-baz)

or even

  (run-with-idle-timer 5 nil 'require 'foo)

with

  :defer 5

Especially given that the use-package versions force the reader (or the
grepper) to look around for context, while the regular versions don't.

But perhaps I'm misinterpreting what these directives actually do, or
perhaps you can illustrate with some snippets of your own.

João