Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 09:25:52 +0100

> I see a further problem with the window parameters approach.  When a
> different buffer becomes displayed in such a window, the parameter would
> stay set.  There is a fundamental mismatch here: Follow Modishness is
> associated with a buffer (not a set of windows); window parameters are
> fundamentally attached to windows.  This clash is bound to cause
> awkwardnesses.

One of the worst things I've ever seen in the windows code was the
mixing in of buffer-local variables, the most notorious representative
of them being ‘window-size-fixed’.  I meanwhile found a workaround so it
shouldn't be needed any more.  Still that variable is a pain.

> So, to cope with temporary buffer changes, one would have
> to build whole complexes of mechanisms to temporarily delete the window
> parameters, and so on.

All this would be restricted to Follow Mode without affecting anyone
else.

>> If you really care about this have ‘follow-mode-set-window-start’ check
>> a variable like ‘isearch-mode’ to make sure that it affects isearch
>> calls only.
>
> I take it that's a bit of sarcasm?

Sorry.  It wasn't meant that way.

I think I have bothered you long enough with my objections.  I consider
it most unfortunate that your previous solutions were not accepted.  I
could have easily lived with all of them.  But I neither use isearch nor
follow mode so I'm probably not in a good position to judge.  The
current solution introduces a new approach which IMHO doesn't fit with
the rest of the windows code but let's live with it.

So thanks for putting so much care into your responses and good luck (no
sarcasm) with the current scheme.

martin