Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 22:31:38 +0000

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Artur, since there have been no further comments, maybe it would help if
> I explained why I'm not convinced: because parsing libraries tend to be
> very performance-sensitive and could take advantage of the core in ways
> that most other libraries don't. They are also rare, so it makes sense
> to treat them with special care instead of as just another library.

Yes, this makes sense.

My comment was more about dependency libs in general, not really about parsing
libs.

That I'm aware there's edn.el: https://github.com/expez/edn.el

> 2) examples of packages that would use PL *and* want to support Emacs 24
> or older (please, let's not invent them, I want actual examples)

The only examples that come to mind are the ones I was involved in.
ham-mode and SX (both from Melpa) both manually parse html and would
benefit from a lib for that. (Am I correct in understanding pl helps
with html parsing?)

I'd be fine with dropping 24 support on ham-mode because it's rather
niche, but I wouldn't to drop it on SX (but then, I'm not even sure I'd
use `pl' on SX because its needs are very specific and fine-tuned).

Anyway, you've convinced me that this lib might be good in core. So I'm
OK with this now.