Re: Redirecting messages

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Redirecting messages
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:38:59 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5 Nov 2015 7:48 pm, "Ted Zlatanov" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed.  But if alert.el doesn't support it now, it should have a way to
>> replace `message' so rather than asking every package to change, the
>> user just customizes one thing globally.
>
> I don't think users will want to turn every single message into a
> desktop notification. The `message' function has always been a very
> non-intrusive approach, so it's used in very spammy ways sometimes.
>
> That said, a way of redirecting messages via some arbitrary function
> is something that would be nice to have, and it's been mentioned
> lately here. I think Stefan was pushing for this a bit, specially when
> Oleh implemented the new inhibit-messages variable.

Indeed, this would be nice.  I would like to be able to be notified when a
time-consuming R script has completed or when Org is done compiling my
PDF; tramp is done copying many files, etc.

Perhaps it would be nice if the default would already check some custom
variable consisting of cons of

      (FUN or regexp for evaluating message . FUN or String to notify)

Or each user can add this in her own custom message function.

Rasmus

--
ツ