Re: ELPA policy

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 07:51:46 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/05/2015 04:41 AM, John Wiegley wrote:
>
>> An exception to this rule is when a certain service (say, streams) should
>> always be available, without requiring further installation of libraries.
>> Emacs acts as a sort of "standard library" for Emacs Lisp, so the same kinds
>> of things we'd like to have in such a meta-library, should be in core.
>
> Why not consider ELPA a part of the "standard library", too?

Because it is not.  I have often had to use Emacs on computers that did
not have access to an Internet connection.  To consider something part
of the "standard library," I believe you should have access to it when
Emacs is installed.  This is why I dislike the move towards systems that
only provide easy installation via network channels.  (Python, this
means you!)

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)