Re: Font related crash?

From: Yuan MEI
Subject: Re: Font related crash?
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 22:55:19 -0800

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0x0000000000413a88 in required_matrix_width (address@hidden) at dispnew.c:1727
1727                   / ch_width) * w->ncols_scale_factor
(gdb) xbacktrace
"x-create-frame" (0xffff8590)
"x-create-frame-with-faces" (0xffff87a8)
0x1191880 PVEC_COMPILED
"apply" (0xffff8a50)
"frame-creation-function" (0xffff8c60)
"make-frame" (0xffff8e20)
"make-frame-on-display" (0xffff8ff8)
"server-create-window-system-frame" (0xffff9238)
"server-process-filter" (0xffff9428)
(gdb)

Is this sufficient?  Also, sometimes when I switch to another virtual desktop then come back to emacs, the entire frame shows only the background color, no letter is visible.  This does not happen all the time though.

Thanks,

Yuan

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:32:19 -0800
> From: Yuan MEI <address@hidden>
>
> I compiled an emacs version 25.0.50.1 from git repo recently (see the end of
> this email for detailed revision info. Compilation was done through the Gentoo
> portage) and discovered a font related crash under certain circumstances.
>
> The symptom is: after starting an emacs frame (and a server) under DISPLAY=:0,
> in a different DISPLAY environment, either in :0.1 (local) or :10.0 (via ssh),
> when I run emacsclient -c to start a new frame, emacs crashes due to a floating
> point exception.
>
> The crash does not occur when running emacs -Q. A minimal init.el is attached
> to regenerate the crash.
>
> This kind of crash did not occur in version 24 or an earlier version of 25 (I
> cannot remember when and I don't have the time to trace back).

Can you run Emacs under GDB and show a backtrace when it crashes?

Thanks.