Re: On the popularity of git [Was: Git question: when using branches, h

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: On the popularity of git [Was: Git question: when using branches, how does git treat working files when changing branches?]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 14:44:28 -0700

On 10/30/2015 02:27 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
What you seem to be saying is you use git because "everybody" else does.

Not really. The Git maintainer is a friend of mine: we worked together for many years building mostly-proprietary software. He's one of the best hackers I know. Git in part uses implementation ideas that I was using before Git was a gleam in Linus Torvalds's eye. So I make no pretense of being impartial here. Nor do I use Git merely because "everybody" else does.

I partly use Emacs for the same reason I use Git. It's free and reliable and efficient and supported by hackers whose judgment I trust.