Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only direct

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only directory names
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 22:32:58 -0400

  > > > The manual says "directory name" ends in a slash, and talks about
  > > > "file name of a directory" which doesn't.
  > >
  > > I don't think we generally use the term "directory name" in such
  > > a strict sense.  At the very least, in all these years, I never noticed
  > > that this term had such a precise meaning and it's never bitten me.

  > It's a very old confusion, yes.  But that doesn't mean IMO that we
  > shouldn't try to fix it, at least in those places where it's
  > important.  Like this one.

I took care to make that distinction clear.
If people have let it become fuzzy, let's clear it up.

The elements of 'load-path' (and every ...-path variable)
should properly be directory names, not file names.
Some things, perhaps many, will handle directory file names
in these variables, and it is ine being defensive in that way;
but clean code will only put directory names into the lists.

--
Dr Richard Stallman