Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only direct

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only directory names
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:34:59 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The manual says "directory name" ends in a slash, and talks about
>> "file name of a directory" which doesn't.
>
> I don't think we generally use the term "directory name" in such
> a strict sense.  At the very least, in all these years, I never noticed
> that this term had such a precise meaning and it's never bitten me.

It has had this very strict meaning, and also documented very strictly,
pretty much from the start.  If I remember correctly, the distinction
was very important for dealing with VAX (VMS?) directory names since the
name of the directory "as a file" was different from its usage as a path
component.

I don't know how much the respective file system semantics can be
considered gone these days.  Do we have native ports?  Does it make a
difference for ange-ftp and/or Tramp?

Most people have probably ignored the difference with occasional
Eli-like "can you please keep this working on my not-so-common system as
well?" admonishments eventually dying with the platform falling out of
use.

But yes, historically there was precise meaning and necessity for the
distinction.

--
David Kastrup