Re: IDE

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:01:06 -0700

On Oct 26 2015, Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Trying to find a common ground on current use cases is difficult enough.
>> Anticipating future requirements is almost impossible. Good luck with
>> that.
>
> CEDET/Semantic already does this.  It can use itself, Global, idutils,
> or cscope and convert the output into a common semantic tag
> infrastructure.  It has a common searching mechanism so you just write
> one bit of code to find the symbol you want (via semanticdb) or
> references you want (via semantic-symref) and it will work fine no
> matter how the user may have set it up.

Unfortunately, at least for me the "one bit of code" was not at all
obvious after reading the CEDET documentation. So while I believe that
any of Global/idutils/cscope would be good enough for the majority of my
use-cases, I wasn't able to make CEDET use any of them (or maybe CEDET
uses them, but I'm not actually invoking cedet with M-.?).

My impression that CEDET/Semantic doesn't lack functionality, but
end-user documentation.

Best,
-Nikolauss