Re: Contributors and maintainers

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Contributors and maintainers
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:44:54 +0200

address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> From: address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
>
>>> Most others will just leave the place immediately, or not even try
>>> because they already saw in the archive or heard from others enough
>>> horrible things about emacs-devel.
>>
>> From whom did you hear horrible things about emacs-devel?  What
>> horrible things?
>
> It would be bad to name them,

Obviously.

> but emacs-devel has become a running joke among some groups which
> contain experienced programmers and long-timers of GNU and Emacs, as
> well as young folks who could be future Emacs developers.
>
> I would love it if this could change, and if both those experienced
> people and potential future developers could partake in emacs-devel.

I think you are setting your aspirations too high about reforming coding
standards as well as social interactions in Emacs development from the
ground up.  Even the acting Emacs maintainer tends not throw his weight
around in the manner you do, particularly not with matters of marginal
importance.  When working on a common project, one needs to pick one's
fights.

Instead of ELPA where packages are reviewed by Emacs developers, their
copyright assigned to the FSF and the Emacs developers are the fallback
for any maintenance issues, there is also the package archive MELPA with
a more customary submission procedure where the author retains copyright
and responsibility for packages of his.  It would seem that placing your
packages there might better correspond to the strong feelings you have
about keeping your code in exactly the style and state you desire it to
be without interference.

--
David Kastrup