Re: Another others for maintainer?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Another others for maintainer?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:10:01 +0300

> From: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:18:30 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Yes; Eli has always done a great job with Emacs.

Thanks.

> Has he weighed in on his willingness to be a (co)maintainer?

No, he hasn't.  Primarily because I don't know what is expected of a
(co)maintainer that I don't already do.  If the answer is NOTHING,
then you already have me, albeit unannounced.  In that case, I can
give up the title.

I also have serious doubts it's a good idea to upgrade my status in
any serious ways.  "A man's got to know his limitations"; here are
some of mine:

  . I know too little about some very important core parts of Emacs,
    so little that I will be unable to make decisions about changes
    there.

  . I have very little time to work on Emacs.  E.g., I will probably
    be unable to track the commits the way Stefan did (see also
    previous item), and can only review maybe one or 2 patches per
    day, sometimes none.  That's no way of keeping the QA standards
    high enough.  I'm not even sure my Lisp instincts are good enough
    for serious reviews of large non-trivial packages.

  . I tend to annoy some people, for reasons that I honestly don't
    understand (the latest episode is still unwinding here -- and also
    on IRC, I'm told).  My ideas are frequently rejected.  That's not
    a good starting point for leadership.

'Nough said.