Re: In support of guile-emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: In support of guile-emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 08:00:53 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, Taylan.
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 08:50:16PM +0200, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
>> At the same time though, I'm really very hopeful about Guile's future
>> wrt. performance.  A very great hacker is working on it.
>
> That's encouraging.

On the other hand, that work has a lousy bus factor.  Here is the first
page of recent commits on GUILE's master branch:

Mark H Weaver Fix typo in CPS conversion.
Andy Wingo Minor CPS documentation cleanups
Andy Wingo Update CPS language documentation
Andy Wingo Remove unused (language tree-il inline) module.
Mark H Weaver Allow decoding of UTF-8 containing U+FFFD, the replacement
character.
Andy Wingo Add closure effects
Andy Wingo Better codegen for $values terms that don't shuffle
Andy Wingo Loop peeling
Andy Wingo solve-flow-equations tweak
Andy Wingo Simplify rotate-loops.scm
Andy Wingo Loop inversion with multiple exits
Andy Wingo Rotate comparisons down to loop back-edges
Andy Wingo Eliminate trampoline gotos when possible in compile-bytecode
Andy Wingo Small expression-effects tweak
Andy Wingo Loop-invariant code motion
Andy Wingo Move solve-flow-equations to utils
Andy Wingo Factor out compute-effects/elide-type-checks from dce.scm
Andy Wingo Add missing files
Andy Wingo Rename CPS2 to CPS
Andy Wingo Remove CPS1 language
Andy Wingo Compile CPS2 directly to bytecode
Andy Wingo Slot allocation and bytecode compilation from CPS2.
Andy Wingo Fix CPS2 compute-successors
Andy Wingo intset-intersect bugfix
Andy Wingo Fix bad return shuffles for multiply-used $kreceive conts
Andy Wingo Fix error printing some wrong-num-args backtraces
Andy Wingo More slot-allocation simplification
Andy Wingo CPS1 slot-allocation simplification
Andy Wingo Utils refactors
Andy Wingo Add intset-prev and intset-fold-right
Andy Wingo Reify primitives in CPS2
Andy Wingo Fix type/range inference for mul
Andy Wingo Remove CPS optimization passes and closure conversion
Andy Wingo Optimize first-order CPS
Andy Wingo Beta reduction over first-order CPS
Andy Wingo DCE works on first-order CPS
Andy Wingo compute-reachable-functions refactor
Andy Wingo Prepare DCE pass for first-order CPS2
Andy Wingo Enable CPS2 closure conversion
Andy Wingo CPS2 closure conversion bugfixes
Andy Wingo closure-conversion docstring tweak
Andy Wingo Wire up new closure conversion pass
Andy Wingo Add CPS2 closure conversion module
Andy Wingo Verify pass works on first-order CPS
Andy Wingo Beginnings of first-order CPS optimization
Andy Wingo Tweak intset printing
Andy Wingo CPS2 renumber works with first-order CPS
Andy Wingo Fix intset-subtract to reliably produce empty-intset
Andy Wingo intset-union fast paths
Andy Wingo Reorganizing of intset/intmap helper functions
Andy Wingo Add split-rec pass
Andy Wingo Renumber before contifying to eliminate stale conts

Emacs's master branch looks a bit more diverse in authorship and less
back-and-forth in content.

Even if I only look at lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-compile.el (since it would
be unfair to take all of Emacs, a diverse application pool, as
comparison to a language):

Paul Eggert Fix a few problems with directed quotes
Paul Eggert Backslash cleanup in Elisp source files
Paul Eggert Revert some stray curved quotes I missed earlier
Paul Eggert Go back to grave quoting in source-code docstrings etc.
Stefan Monnier Fix disassembly of non-compiled lexical functions (bug#21377)
Paul Eggert Treat “instead” strings as docstrings
Paul Eggert Prefer directed to neutral quotes
Paul Eggert More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
Paul Eggert text-quoting-style in emacs-lisp diagnostics
Glenn Morris Address a compilation warning.
Glenn Morris Address some compilation warnings.
Paul Eggert Don't quote nil and t in doc strings
Glenn Morris Minor declare-function improvement
Artur Malabarba * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: Revert "Silence noninteractive
compilations"
Artur Malabarba * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: Use `inhibit-message'
Artur Malabarba * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: Silence noninteractive
compilations
Artur Malabarba Speed up byte-compilation and autoload generation by avoiding
mode-hooks
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el (cl-defstruct): Keep type=nil by
default.
Stefan Monnier Add (:documentation <form>) for dynamically-generated docstrings
Paul Eggert Don't downcase system diagnostics' first letters
Stefan Monnier lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio*.el: Rewrite our generics on top of
cl-generic
Paul Eggert Less 'make' chatter in batch mode
Paul Eggert Update copyright year to 2015
Paul Eggert Spelling fixes
Stefan Monnier * lisp: Prefer inlinable functions to macros.
Stefan Monnier Fix bootstrap failure after last change to eval-and-compile.
Glenn Morris * bytecomp.el (byte-compile-report-error): Allow the argument to
be a string. Due to the vague doc, it was already being used this way.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: Add a warning and remove a
spurious warning. (byte-compile-initial-macro-environment): Don't compile
before eval in `eval-and-compile'. (byte-compile-arglist-warn): Add check for
defining macros after their first use.  Check call use even if the function is
fboundp.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (byte-compile--use-old-handlers):
Change default.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: Require cl-extra. *
lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-extra.el: Add missing provide.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/select.el: Use lexical-binding. (gui-set-selection):
Provide an implementation for non-GUI frames. * lisp/term/x-win.el: Use
lexical-binding. (x-clipboard-yank): Fix up missed renamings. *
lisp/term/w32-win.el (libgif-version, libjpeg-version): Silence compiler.
(w32--set-selection): Fix up var names. * lisp/term/pc-win.el: Use
lexical-binding. (w16-selection-exists-p): Silence compiler warning.
(w16-selection-owner-p): Fix up missed renamings.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (byte-compile-and-folded):
Optimize case where all args are copyable. (=, <, >, <=, >=): Re-enable the
optimization.
Stefan Monnier Restore temporarily reverted bytecomp change
Glenn Morris Temporarily revert previous bytecomp change
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (=, <, >, <=, >=): Don't optimize
multi-arg case.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/subr.el (track-mouse): New macro. *
lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el (cconv-convert, cconv-analyse-form): Remove
track-mouse case. * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (byte-compile-track-mouse):
Remove. * src/keyboard.c (track-mouse): Rename to internal--track-mouse. Make
it into a function and change arg to be a function.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (byte-compile-lambda): Don't add
fundoc usage for functions with no arguments.
Daniel Colascione Minor bytecomp.el fixes
Daniel Colascione Correctly treat progn contents as toplevel forms when byte
compiling
Glenn Morris Move some help functions from help-fns.el to help.el, which is
preloaded.
Glenn Morris Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
Glenn Morris "Use instead" obsolescence messages should end with "."
Juanma Barranquero Silence byte-compiler warning.
Daniel Colascione Use whole file-name-history'.
Stefan Monnier * lisp/abbrev.el (define-abbrev): Beware new meaning of fboundp.
* lisp/emacs-lisp/elint.el (elint-find-builtins): * lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc.el
(eldoc-symbol-function): * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
(byte-compile-callargs-warn) (byte-compile-file-form-defmumble, byte-compile,
byte-compile-form): * lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el (byte-compile-inline-expand):
* lisp/apropos.el (apropos-safe-documentation): * lisp/subr.el (symbol-file):
Remove redundant fboundp. * lisp/progmodes/idlw-shell.el
(idlwave-shell-comint-filter): Use defalias.
Paul Eggert Update copyright year to 2014 by running admin/update-copyright.

--
David Kastrup