Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 01:37:26 +0300

On 10/18/2015 01:28 AM, Przemysław Wojnowski wrote:

I don't think it is possible, because languages are very different and
their
surrounding tooling is very different.

The meanings of "go to definition", "find references" and "complete text at point" are very much the same across languages. Some refactorings, too.

Yes. And I've looked at EDE at SF
(http://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/git/ci/master/tree/lisp/cedet/ede/).
There's support for many types of projects, build tools, etc. There are
even some tests.

A more idiomatic, Emacs-y API that isn't tied to CEDET, that's friendly to third-party packages, and doesn't ask its caller to know the intricacies of EDE's object hierarchies.

You're welcome to work on making EDE more flexible, though. We can compare progress later.

What's the point of reimplementing that from scratch?

We can reuse code from EDE, if it fits.