Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 19:48:48 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
> Cc: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès),  Eli Zaretskii
>  <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 18:25:21 +0200
>
> I guess the discussion was about rewriting bigger parts of Emacs in
> Guile-Scheme

Yes, this is the issue; see the Subject.

> Most of the benefits in e.g. http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs
> apply without having to solve the string problem.

But this discussion is about replacing most or all of the Emacs C core
with Guile.  If we want to avoid rewriting, say, coding.c completely
from scratch, we need Guile to support the same operations as the ones
exposed by coding.c to Lisp applications.  Currently, Guile doesn't.