Re: emacs IDE features

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: emacs IDE features
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:11:33 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Then of course I should mention priorities:
>> - IDE's features
>> - Concurrency
>> - Guile Emacs future?. Guile Emacs has been on several Google summer of
>> code. Would it need to be on another one?. Or Emacs is going to move on
>> another direction?
>
> I have three major priorities in mind for the near-term, and you've named two.
> I'm happy to see that we're on a similar wavelength.
>
> But first, I want to know who will actually be the maintainer(s) before we
> have that discussion. When/if that day comes, I'll present a high-level
> proposal in collaboration with Richard and (hopefully) Eli, and then we can
> all decide from there where to best spend our discussive energies.

I'd add number 4. Support Java properly. It's one of the most common
languages in the world, and Emacs doesn't work with it.

There has been a little movement on the JDEE list recently. I still use
Emacs for editing Java, but only because I need to turn my code into a
slide show (for teaching) rather than actually running it. Even this is
going to be a problem in the future unless Emacs updates.

Phil