Re: IDE

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:27:02 +0200

martin rudalics writes:
>>> Are you by any chance using GTK tooltips?  They are a pain.
>>
>> I've built Emacs with GTK 3, if that's what you mean. The configure
>> script does that by default here.
>
> Try setting ‘x-gtk-use-system-tooltips’ to nil.
>
>>> Maybe we should just use simple frames with all decorations
>>> removed.
>>
>> How do I do that?
>
> By making a frame without minibuffer, title, scroll, tool, menu bars
> and
> borders.  Maybe it can't be done in Lisp alone.

Here's what I use in my doc-present package[1] for displaying slides:

(with-selected-frame
    (make-frame '((minibuffer . nil)
                  (left-fringe . 0)
                  (right-fringe . 0)
                  (menu-bar-lines . 0)
                  (internal-border-width . 0)
                  (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
                  (unsplittable . t)
                  (cursor-type . nil)
                  (tool-bar-lines . 0)))
  (pop-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*test*"))
  (setq mode-line-format nil))

The only thing remaining are the decorations from the window manager. I
don't think you can get rid of those from within Emacs?

-David