Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:52:46 +0200

Przemysław Wojnowski writes:
 > W dniu 2015-10-12 21:43, Eli Zaretskii napisał(a):
 > > I don't think this is possible.  Some slowdown will be inevitable.
 > IMHO the performance is overestimated.
 >
 > Look at Java based IDEs - Idea, Eclipse, Netbeans, etc.
 > All of them have been written in _slow_ Java (at least according
 > to C standard) and run on _slow_ JVM. But all of them are able to
 > attract more users that Emacs, which has core in blazing fast C.

Please consider that Eclipse and NetBeans do have big companies
spending money to yell to the world that their tool is a wonderful
tool.

Furthermore if you *need* (read: that's how you earn your wage) to
code in Java, the support you find in Emacs for that language is
limited, JDEE does not even support generics, therefore you need to
use one of such tools.

 > I started the topic with the keyword "maintainable", because IMHO
 > it's very important factor for long living and growing projects.

It is not the language that determines the success, longevity and
maintainability, but how the project is managed.

 > IMHO C lacks basic abstractions that reduce conceptual weight of
 > any subsystem/library/concept/etc. Interfaces and namespaces do.
 > Static typing would also help.

<humorous but="not this much">
C, IMHO, is a good tool to see who "deserves" to live from coding and
who should choose another career to benefit more the world :>.
</humorous>

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO